Friday, July 23, 2010

Daily carry guns

OK, so you've decided to start carrying concealed.  Let's talk about that for a minute.

You've got to have your gun with you, every day.  You have to know it's there, and not leave the house without it.  You don't get to pick and choose when an emergency will occur, that's why it's called an emergency.  As John Farnam says, "When it's least expected, you're elected!"  Carry your gun, plus at least one reload. 

I strongly recommend you carry a full size, fighting handgun.  I carry a Glock 19 9mm semi automatic, plus 2 15 round magazines.  It sounds like a lot, but if you ever have to deal with multiple bad guys, you want as much ammo on hand as possible.  I've also carried a 1911 .45 auto, and if I went back to carrying one, it'd be a full size 5" gun, with three spare magazines. 

I suggest you carry a backup, or second gun, all the time, too.  This isn't paranoia; anything made by man can break, and I've seen everything out there break or fall apart at some point.  I carry my main gun inside the waistband, in the appendix position, with the holster made by Dale Fricke.  My second gun is carried either in an ankle holster or carried on my belt for a left hand draw.  I really like the Smith & Wesson J-frame, five shot revolvers. 

You need to get out and shoot your guns!  You can't read about it, you have to do it.  50 rounds a week is not unrealistic, and more is better.  Make sure it's relevant training, not just throwing rounds downrange.  Shoot your guns, with two hands and one hand.  Get competent training. 

1 comment:

  1. I am now carrying 2 XDs, sub compact and a service plus two 18 round spare mags. I like the fact that both will take the same mags. I Carry at the 11 & 1 o'clock. While the 2 guns plus mag are heavy I find they actully even out the load on my back causing less back strain. I have only been carrying this way a short time but the more I do the more I like it.

    ReplyDelete