Monday, July 12, 2010

If you could have only one...

While I don't particularly care to think about having only one gun, it's good to sometime think about a case where you might only be able to  have one with you.  Skeeter Skelton, one of my favorite old time gun writers, chose the .357 Magnum revolver, and after much thought, I would have to go the same way.

My choice for this would be my Ruger Blackhawk .357 Magnum single action revolver with a 6 1/2" barrel.  I would also include with it the 9mm auxilliary cylinder.  It takes only a moment to replace, and a couple of turns of the screwdriver to change the sights.  This combo allows me to shoot 3 different calibers in one gun.  After shooting for the last 30 years, and being an instructor for long time, the two toughest brands out there are the Glock semi-autos, and Ruger revolvers. 

The .357 Magnum, when properly handloaded, can take any game in the lower 48 states.  Plus, I can shoot inexpensive .38 Special ammo for practice or small game shooting.  My normal working load is a Cast Performance 180 grain Lead Flat Point with gas check.  I load it fairly hot, because the Blackhawk will take it.  I also have a bullet mold and tools to make the same bullet if I can't get it commercially. 

The 9mm cylinder allows me to take advantage of one of the most popular rounds on the market today.  Having 3 calibers in one gun, in a survival, end of the world, or living a ways out situation, is pretty cool!  While it may not be the perfect concealed carry gun, it can be done with the proper holster and clothing.  I use a Simply Rugged Sourdough pancake holster for concealment, and a custom belt and holster, also from Simply Rugged, for general use. 

There are a lot of folks who will say a .22 rifle or pistol is better, or perhaps the 12 gauge shotgun.  Those are good choices also, and I won't begrudge anyone who chooses them.  But, I'll stick with my .357 Magnum.

No comments:

Post a Comment